Sunday 28 March 2010

Oxford Literary Festival, etc.

I have been having a most pleasant week going to events at the OLF. This is held yearly but this is the first year I have remembered in time to get tickets. There are many events (talks) each day so it's a question of going down the long list to see what appeals. I started off with The Story of English: How the English Language Conquered the World. I have always found this fact very interesting. The talk was excellent. Next day I went to hear Barbara Trapido talk about her latest book, Sex and Stravinsky. I was very fond of her books many years back but hadn't read any lately. She read the first four or five pages of the book and I was rehooked. Wednesday was a panel discussion on "How to Write a Bestseller" They made many points and suggestions but the one that stuck was that just because a book is a bestseller, doesn't mean it is any good, i.e. Dan Brown. But then they would, wouldn't they. This is Oxford. Friday was another panel discussion, "What Makes a Good Short Story". A.S. Byatt was one of the panel members. I'm reading The Children's Book and enjoying every beautifully crafted sentence. The point that stood out from this discussion was, 'don't think that because it's short, it's easy' but I think I knew that having tried to have a go myself. Yesterday I listened to P.D. James talk about Barbara Pym. I think another rekindling is about to take place. I checked my book shelves and I have nine of her novels and, of course, can't remember which ones I have read so, no excuse to go shopping. Finished up yesterday afternoon with a talk by Martin Amis. The enfant terrible is 60. He moaned away so much about age that I think it is bothering him. But on the whole, I liked him and thought he was a good talker. My last event is today, P.D. James talking to Hilary Mantel. HM won the Booker prize this year - Wolf Hall. I have read it and I can see why it won but I found it somewhat confusing (perhaps I don't know enough Tudor history). It's also very long so brace youself if you plan to have a go. I am so lucky to be living in a city where events like this happen. I love Oxford.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds absolutely fabulous. Nothing remotely comparable round here...

    ReplyDelete