Sunday 2 May 2010

Stary Reynak and the goats

I'm having a marvellous time in Poland with Jane. This morning I went to the old market square with the impressive town hall. It was thronged with people and I think it must have been a special day because there were flag ceremonies and speeches but the best was the goats. Above the clock on the town hall are two doors which open at 12 noon each day and two goats come out (metal goats). They turn to face each other and then lean forward to but each other. They do this 12 times and it is brilliant. Then they go back inside to wait for tomorrow. When I arrived, I wasn't sure I was in the right place so I approached a man with a clipboard and asked him If he knew about the goats. He looked puzzled for a moment and then started to laugh. He pointed up to the clock so I knew I was on track. Then the festivities started and he went up to the microphone and gave a speech. I think he was the Lord Mayor or something. My motto is,"Go to the top if you want an answer". Jane took me to the official conference dinner tonight and I met a really nice Japanese man. He is going to visit me in August when he comes to England to some work. I also met a nice Polish couple in the museum today but I'll talk about that later. I also had the experience of ordering Chicken McNuggetts in Polish for lunch. It's all go.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds really interesting. Glad you're having a good time. I agree, go first class on the train and HB to JF.

    ReplyDelete