Wednesday 2 December 2009

Taking Myself in Hand

Today has been a good day. I started off this morning with my interview at SeeSaw. I think it went quite well. SeeSaw is a volunteer organization which provides help for children who have experienced the death of a family member. You can't just tell these people that you are going to come along and do it. They have a very thorough vetting process to determine whether or not you would be suitable. I will know in a couple of days if I have been chosen to do the training which lasts about three months and even then you can be dropped if it doesn't seem that you would be able to handle it. I will know in a couple of days if I have passed the first round.

Then this afternoon I went to my new gym for an induction session. This boy who looked to be about twelve showed me around and instructed me on the use of the machines. He's actually in his 20's but they are all so young. Then a man in my age group asked me if I would like to hire him as a personal trainer. He is legitimate and I decided to have a go. The reason is that if I have someone who is expecting me to turn up, I'm much more likely to go. I have been having trouble with my right leg and after an xray of the hip, the GP announced that my problem is age related and is a result of wear and tear. How old and ugly is that! Anyway, I know that I must do something about my non-existent fitness level so here I go.

Then I trudged home in the rain and will spend this evening getting ready for a dinner party tomorrow evening. The menu: shrimp and asparagus starter -- coq au vin with new potatoes and veg --blueberry tart -- cheese board. Doesn't that sound good? Two of the nice things about coq au vin is that it can be made ahead and people can drink either white or red wine because although it is chicken, it is made with red wine.

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive! Sorry I did not ring last night, I was all consumed with myself ;-). Have a lovely dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds excellent. I just downloaded the app Couch 2 5K for the ipod touch and plan to start this morning....

    ReplyDelete