Saturday 10 April 2010

New Brunswick

I arrived in Halifax last Tuesday and my little brother picked me up at the airport and drove me to Moncton. My little brother is 60 which is beyond belief for me. Now I am on day 5 of my Canadian holiday and loving every minute. Jane and I get up in the morning when we feel like it, drink coffee, read the newspaper and talk. We get dressed and talk some more. We go here and there, talking all the way. It is so great to be with someone who has the same childhood history and a better memory. We went out to a tiny little place in the country called Goshen. Some of our great grandparents lived and farmed around there but they were buried in another place ten miles away called Mechanic Settlement so we had to go there to find the gravestones. And there they were. Jane has some family history stuff and these people had families of 7 to 15 children. They originally came from Ireland around the time of the famine. We had such a good day that we thought we would take a trip to Ireland maybe next year for some more tombstones. We’re not great family historians but we do like a few bevies and Irish pubs so it could all work quite well.

2 comments:

  1. Yay an update. So thrilled you are having a good time in the Maritimes. An ireland trip sounds great. You may get me as a tag along...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic! So glad to hear you're both having such a good time. Tonight is our last day of the 11 day holiday. It was so great. Easter with you was fab! Since then, Harry & Sian have both acquired scooters. Too cute. I have the blues, I don't fancy going to work tomorrow.

    Anyway, almost done with new podcast. Should be up tomorrow!

    Send my love to Jane.

    ReplyDelete