Friday 2 July 2010

Birthday (mine)

It was my birthday on Tuesday but I celebrated last weekend in Brighton. I went down on Saturday and the wonderful girls took me out for a meal in the evening. I had a lie in on Sunday and then we went to Lewis for lunch at a pub. John and Pat met us there and a good time was had by all. Harry was his usual sparkling excellent self. He helped his Mum decorate fairy cakes for my tea time birthday party on Sunday. His decorating style is to put icing on the top of the cake, add sprinkles and then eat it off. This provides him with an opportunity to start over on the same cake. We slouched about on Sunday evening watching a film. I left on Monday morning because I had to be back in time to make myself a birthday cake for the book club on Monday evening. It was at my house and we had read The Bell by Iris Murdock. Most of us had read it years ago. The rereading gave us a chance to bring a more mature insight into the discussion. None of us had remembered the strong homosexual plot. All I remembered was pulling the bell out of the water. I made an old fashioned checker cake and everyone sang Happy Birthday. I am lucky to live where I do, surrounded by good friends. The next day was my actual birthday but I was a bit hung over so I limited myself to reading to Roger which is always a great pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment