Sunday 15 January 2012

A great day

Decided to go for another Artist's Date this morning. There was a piano concert at the Holywell Music Room and it was terrific. The guy played a Chopin ballade and a few Mazurkas. They were beautiful and he was brilliant. He finished up with Rachmaninoff which is always a crowd pleaser. I turned up and there was a queue but luckily I took my place by a man who told me that a woman up ahead had a spare ticket she was wanting to sell. I snapped it up and rejoined the queue. When I did, I realized that I was pushing in in front of the helpful man so I put on my best Canadian accent and apologized. He not only told me to stay put but gave me his spare program. I got a good seat where I could watch the hands. I learned this from Leo years ago to sit where you can see the keyboard. It's great going to concerts with Brits. They don't talk, fidget or rattle their programs. They just sit and listen. I was so delighted with the whole thing that I went to the bus stop via Blackwells and treated myself to a couple of Chopin CD's. Then the temptation hit to go to KFC for lunch but, fortunately, there were about 20 people waiting to buy bad food so I didn't stop. Got down to the bus stop and could see my bus which looked like it was about to leave so I waived and ran and the driver waited for me. Everything was going so well I wondered if I should buy a lottery ticket. I resisted. Came home to a salad lunch. Oh, forgot, I walked into town for the concert so exercise in addition to culture. God, I'm good.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic. That sounds like such an excellent day. I am sitting in my office writing letters of recommendation....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful as my touch with British culture this past week consisted of a "Beatlemania" concert. It was fun but different than your experience for sure. The walking into Oxford sounds ambitious. Good for you on all counts.

    ReplyDelete