Saturday 20 November 2010

My first fire





I had some people round for dinner on Wednesday and one of them offered to come a bit early to light a fire for me in my big old stone fireplace. I had the chimney swept two years ago but never took the next step; i.e. firelighting. I provided the wood and he set to work. Unfortunately, the chimney failed to draw properly and we soon had a room full of smoke. I opened the doors and waved a towel around but when the rest of the people arrived, they had to sit in a cold room watching a smoking fire. James rushed across the road to the Baptist Church and borrowed a fire extinguisher just in case. The one thing that worked perfectly was the fire alarm. In spite of this excitement, it was a great evening. We moved into the smoke free back room and enjoyed dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment