Tuesday 6 September 2011

Earnley

I spent the weekend at Earnley Concourse. I was doing a course called Fantasy Art in Watercolour This was chosen on the basis of time - I wanted to be away this particular weekend and the word 'watercolour'. What I didn't take into account was the word 'fantasy'. I was thinking about daydreams and making stuff up. This is what it is but the emphasis was/is on faeries and dragons. Great wings and tails everywhere and sexy girls with long wispy curly hair twining around their scantily clad bodies. "Oh dear", I thought but I didn't give up. There were only two of us in the class plus the teacher. She was terrific and I learned a lot about watercolour techniques. The other student was an older man who had taken up painting when he retired ten years ago. The first task was to choose a picture from the many books that Sharon (teacher) had brought. Barry quickly found himself a dragon and this lady and got to work.




I was searching frantically for something that didn't have fire coming out of its mouth or big doe eyes and I came across THE RABBIT. I knew immediately that this was my picture.



I used Rabbit to learn about tracedown paper, masking fluid, salt technique and, most importantly, blending and blurring and outlining. It was a terrific weekend. I also bought some decent supplies. I used to assume that it was pretentious crap to go on about sable brushes. Not so. They are wonderful so I now have a set.

This is a partially finished picture by the tutor. She was using it to demonstrate various techniques.




By the way, we were told that we should always give our pictures names. Mine is called 'Redundancy'.

No comments:

Post a Comment